Traditional Dungan Dinner in a village founded in 1877
A meeting with culinary and cultural traditions awaits you.
Join a traditional dinner with a local Dungan family of 8 national dishes, learning about where each dish fits within Dungan culture and celebrations. Before the meal, take the opportunity to prepare real Dungan Ashlyan-fu - the hallmark of Karakol cuisine. Visit the local museum, where local historian will tell you the story of the Dungans and their path from China to the Issyk-Kul region. During the tour you will plunge into the world of a special unique cuisine, touch the traditions of the Dungan people, get acquainted with national costumes, learn about special rituals at weddings, and see a unique pagoda-like village mosque which was built without a single nail.
- Taste at least 8 kinds of home-cooked Dungan dishes in a family home.*
- Make your own ashlan-fu, the most famous (and delicious!) Dungan dish.
- Deepen your understanding of Dungan culture and history on a 30-minute village walking tour. Take in local stories and legends on a visit to the museum and mosque.
* Vegetarian meals can be prepared upon request. Let us know in advance (at booking) if you or anyone in your group has food preferences or allergies.
Dungan Village Visit and Family Dinner
3 Hours | from 1,600 KGS
- Meals and soft drinks (tea, mineral water)
- Master class on cooking Ashlyan-Fu
- Entrance to Dungan museum and Dungan mosque
- Local guide
Not Included in Price:
- Alcoholic beverages
- English speaking guide
*English speaking guide services and transportation can be organized upon request for an additional price:
- English speaking guide - 500 KGS (for the whole group)
- Transportation - 1000 KGS (for the whole group)
What Others Say About This Tour
One of the things that makes Karakol unique is that i's a fascinating crossroads of ethnicities, cultures, and cuisines. The Dungan people are an essential part of that story. This tour experience — including insights into local tradition, special recipes, and secret ingredients — provides context for some of the cuisine and culture you might see on the streets of Karakol and in its markets.
Whether you’ve just emerged from the mountains or you’re a culture-curious foodie traveler, this Dungan village and family dinner experience is unique, immersive … and delicious.
We dare you to leave hungry.
Tour Location and Meeting Point
This tour meets at the Destination Karakol Visitor Center (150 Lenin Street, Karakol).
From there, we will provide transportation to Yrdyk (Deishin) village just outside of Karakol.